Veterans Information

At Pedersen-Ryberg Mortuary, we are committed to providing you with the necessary information that you need to make the important decisions. Below, please find information for veterans and veterans’ families. The information below details benefits, requirements, and guidelines for services available to veterans.

Benefits are available to veterans discharged or separated from active duty under conditions (other than dishonorable) who have completed the required period of service, or U.S. Armed Forces members who die during active duty. Spouses and dependent children of eligible living and deceased veterans, and of current and deceased armed forces members, may also be eligible.
Note: The surviving spouse of an eligible veteran who remarried a non-veteran prior to October 31, 1990, and whose remarriage was terminated by death or divorce prior to or on that date is eligible for burial in a national cemetery. A surviving spouse of an eligible veteran who remarried a non-veteran prior to October 31, 1990, and whose remarriage was intact on or after that date, however, is not eligible for burial in a national cemetery. A surviving spouse who remarries a non-veteran after October 31, 1990, is not eligible for burial in a national cemetery.

Burial Grave in a National Cemetery

The United States Government provides free burial in a National Cemetery to all those who are eligible. This includes the gravesite, opening and closing of the grave, and perpetual care. Many national cemeteries have columbaria niches for the inurnment of cremated remains or special sections for burial of cremated remains, if cremation is chosen as the final form of disposition.

Headstones and Markers
The United States Government provides headstones and markers for the graves of veterans and eligible dependents anywhere in the world that are not already marked. Flat bronze, flat granite, flat marble, and upright marble types are available to mark the grave of a veteran or dependent in the style consistent with exiting monuments at the place of burial. Bronze niche markers are also available to mark columbaria in national cemeteries used for inurnment of cremated remains (some cemeteries charge for marker installation).

Burial at Sea
Burial at sea is not just a tradition that was practiced by the Navy of old. It is a means of final disposition of cremated and intact remains that is offered to and still utilized by active duty, retired, and honorable veterans of all branches of the United States military. Burial at sea services are performed while the vessel is on official maneuvers; consequently, it is impossible for the family to be present. The family is notified by the commanding officer of that vessel of the date, time, longitude, and latitude of the committal service.

Individuals eligible for this program are members of the uniformed services, veterans discharged under honorable conditions, United States civilian marine personnel of the Military Sealift Command, and dependents of members, retirees, and veterans of the uniformed services.

Ports of Embarkation
Norfolk, Virginia
Naval Medical Center
620 John Paul Jones Circle
Portsmouth, Virginia 23708-5100
(804) 398-5573

Newport, Rhode Island
Naval Hospital
Newport, Rhode Island 02841-5003
(401) 841-4128

Jacksonville, Florida
Naval Hospital Branch Clinic
Naval Station
Mayport, Florida 32228
(904) 270-5303

San Diego, California
Naval Hospital
San Diego, California 92134-5000
(619) 532-8323

Long Beach, California
Naval Hospital
Long Beach, California 90822-5199
(310) 420-5263

San Francisco, California
Naval Hospital
Oakland, California 94627-5000
(510) 633-5692

Bremerton, Washington
Naval Hospital
Bremerton, Washington 98312-5008
(206) 478-9388

Presidential Memorial Certificate

The Presidential Memorial Certificate is a parchment with a calligraphic inscription expressing the nation's grateful recognition of the veteran's service. The veteran's name is inscribed, and the certificate bears the signature of the President and the presidential seal in gold foil.

Reimbursement of Burial Expenses
The United States Government provides a $300 burial and funeral expense allowance for veterans who, at the time of death, were entitled to receive pension or compensation or would have been entitled to compensation but for receipt of military retirement pay. Eligibility is also established when death occurs in a Veterans’ Administration facility or a nursing home which the Veterans’ Administration contracted, and additional costs of transportation of the remains may be reimbursed in those cases. Claims must be filed within two years after permanent burial or cremation.

United States Burial Flag
The United States Government provides an American flag to drape the casket of a veteran who was discharged under conditions other than dishonorable. After the funeral service, the flag may be given to the next of kin or a close associate of the deceased.

How to Contact the Veterans’ Administration
Military veterans and their dependents are entitled to a variety of benefits depending on their circumstances. Once you have determined what benefits can be claimed and you have gathered all the forms and information that apply to you, you may contact the Veterans Affairs at (800) 827-1000 or reach them through their website,

Before you can file, you will need:
  • Certified copy of or original DD214 (Enlisted Record of Separation)
  • Certified copy of or original marriage certificate
  • Certified copy of Death Certificate
  • Verification of amount of life insurance you will receive as a result of veteran's death
  • Paid receipts for funeral and cemetery expense
  • Paid receipts for hospital and doctor bills incurred by last illness, if applicable
  • Social Security number for yourself and your dependent children
  • If the veteran or yourself was previously married, you will need a certified copy of or original divorce decree, or a Death Certificate proving the previous marriage was dissolved by divorce or death
  • If there are dependent children: For children under the age of 18, or over 18 and still in school, you need certified copies of original birth certificates for each. If the dependent children are over 18 and still in school, you will need VA Form 21-674 filled out.
  • If either of you currently receive Social Security benefits, you will need to know the exact amount received for each of you
  • If you already have a VA claim number, you must furnish the VA with the claim number you have been assigned
  • If either of you receive additional income, the source and exact amount of the benefit must be reported to the VA

If you qualify for Social Security benefits, you should go to the Social Security office before going to the Veteran's Administration office.

We understand that you may have many more questions, and we encourage you to contact us if you need more information. We may be reached at (630) 834-1133, or via email at

Social Security
   Pedersen-Ryberg Mortuary is committed to providing families with as much assistance as we possibly can, and when it comes to obtaining any benefits to which you are entitled, you can be confident that we will competently assist and guide you through the process.

When a death occurs, generally the first form that we complete and file is the "Statement of Death by Funeral Director" form. The Social Security Administration is not able to proceed with any claim until they receive this form, so we try to prevent any delays in your receiving death benefits from Social Security by filing the necessary paperwork a very timely fashion.

The following information is designed to assist you in understanding your eligibility for Social Security Benefits and how to proceed when filing a claim for Social Security Benefits. If you do not find the information you are looking for here, more information is available from the Social Security Administration web site, or you can click on the Social Security Administration button at the bottom of this page.

Part 1—If You're Working ...What You Need To Know About Survivors Benefits

"Life Insurance" From Social Security
Many people think of Social Security as a retirement program, but retirement benefits are just one facet of the Social Security program.

Some of the Social Security taxes you pay go towards survivors insurance. In fact, the value of the survivors insurance you have under Social Security is probably more than the value of your individual life insurance.

When someone who has worked and paid into Social Security dies, survivor benefits can be paid to certain family members. These include widows, widowers (and divorced widows and widowers), children, and dependent parents.

You, along with millions of other people, earn survivors insurance by working and paying Social Security taxes. Right now, 98 out of every 100 children could get benefits if a working parent should die. In fact, Social Security pays more benefits to children than any other federal program.

How Do You Earn Survivors Benefits?
When you die, certain members of your family may be eligible for survivors benefits if you worked, paid Social Security taxes, and earned enough "credits." You can earn a maximum of four credits each year. The number of credits you need depends on your age when you die. The younger a person is, the fewer credits he or she needs to have family members meet the eligibility requirements for survivors benefits. But no one needs more than 40 credits (10 years of work) to be eligible for any Social Security benefits.

Under a special rule, benefits can be paid to your children and your spouse who is caring for the children, even though you do not have the number of credits needed. They can get benefits if you have credit for one and one half years of work in the three years just before your death.

Who Can Get Survivors Benefits?
When you die, Social Security survivors benefits can be paid to your:

  • widow or widower—full benefits at 65 or older (if born before 1940) or reduced benefits as early as age 60. (The age for receiving full benefits gradually increases for persons born after 1939 until it reaches age 67 for persons born in 1962 and later.) A disabled widow or widower can get benefits at 50-60. The surviving spouse's benefits may be reduced if he or she also receives a pension from a job where Social Security taxes were not withheld.
  • widow or widower at any age if she or he takes care of your child under 16 or disabled who get benefits;
  • unmarried children under 18 (or up to age 19 if they are attending elementary or secondary school full time). Your child can get benefits at any age if he or she was disabled before age 22 and remained disabled. Under certain circumstances, benefits also can be paid to your stepchildren, grandchildren, or adopted children; or
  • dependent parents at 62 or older.

Special One-Time Death Benefit
There is a special one-time payment of $255 that can be made when you die if you have enough work "credits." This payment can be made only to your spouse or minor children if they meet certain requirements.

Benefits for Surviving Divorced Spouses
If you've been divorced, your former wife or husband can get benefits under the same circumstances as your widow or widower if your marriage lasted 10 years or more. Your former spouse, however, does not have to meet the length-of-marriage rule if she or he is caring for your child who is under 16 or disabled and who is also getting benefits on your Social Security record. The child must be your former spouse's natural or legally adopted child.

Benefits paid to a surviving divorced spouse who is age 60 or older (50-60 if disabled) will not affect the benefit rates for other survivors getting benefits.

How Much Are Benefits?
How much your family can get from Social Security depends on your average lifetime earnings. That means the higher your earnings, the higher their benefits will be.

Part 2—If A Loved One Has Died ... What You Need To Know About Survivors Benefits

How Do I Apply For Benefits?
How you sign up for survivors benefits depends on whether or not you're getting other Social Security benefits.

If You Aren't Getting Social Security Benefits
You should apply for survivors benefits promptly because, in some cases, benefits may not be retroactive. You can apply by telephone or at any Social Security office.

The Social Security representative will need certain information to process your application. It is helpful if you have it when you apply. But don't delay applying if you don't have everything; a Social Security representative can help you obtain the necessary materials. They need either original documents or copies certified by the agency that issued them.

The information needed includes:

  • Proof of death—either from funeral home or death certificate;
  • Your Social Security number, as well as the worker's;
  • Your birth certificate;
  • Your marriage certificate if you're a widow or widower;
  • Your divorce papers if you're applying as a surviving divorced spouse;
  • Dependent children's Social Security numbers, if available;
  • Deceased worker's W-2 forms or federal self-employment tax return for the most recent year; and
  • The name of your bank and your account number so your benefits can be directly deposited into your account.

If You Are Already Receiving Social Security Benefits
If you're getting benefits as a wife or husband on your spouse's record when he or she dies, you should report the death to Social Security and they will change your payments to survivors benefits. If they need more information, a Social Security representative will contact you.

If you're getting benefits on your own record, you'll need to complete an application to get survivors benefits. Call or visit a Social Security Office and they will check to see if you can get more money as a widow or widower. A Social Security representative will need to see a certified copy of your spouse's death certificate to process your claim. The certified copy can then be returned to you.

Benefits for any children will automatically be changed to survivors benefits after the death is reported. A Social Security representative will contact you if they need more information.

How Much Will I Receive?
The amount of your benefit is based on the earnings of the person who died. The more he or she paid into Social Security, the higher your benefits will be.

The amount you will get is a percentage of the deceased's basic Social Security benefit. The percentage depends on your age and the type of benefit you are eligible for. Here are the most typical situations.

  • widow or widower, age 65 or older—100 percent;
  • widow or widower age, 60-64—about 71-94 percent;
  • widow, any age, with a child under age 16—75 percent; or
  • children—75 percent

Maximum Family Benefits
There is a limit to the amount of money that can be paid to you and other family members each month. The limit varies, but is generally equal to about 150 to 180 percent of the deceased's benefit rate. If the sum of the benefits payable to the family members is greater than this limit, the benefits will be reduced proportionately.

Retirement Benefits For Widow(ers)

What If I Work?
If you get Social Security survivors benefits, the amount of your benefits may be reduced if your earnings exceed certain limits. There's no earnings limit once you reach age 70.

Your earnings will reduce only your survivors benefits, not the benefits of other family members.

What If I Remarry?
Generally, you can't get survivors benefits if you remarry. But, remarriage after age 60 (50 if disabled) will not prevent benefit payments on your former spouse's record. And, at age 62 or older, you may get benefits on the record of your new spouse if they are higher.

A Word About Medicare
Medicare is a health insurance plan for people who are age 65 or older. People who are disabled or have kidney failure also can get Medicare. Medicare has two parts—hospital insurance and medical insurance. Most people have both parts. Hospital insurance, sometimes called Part A, covers inpatient hospital care and certain follow-up care. The worker already paid for it as part of his or her Social Security taxes while he or she was working. Medical insurance, sometimes called Part B, pays for physicians' services and some other services not covered by hospital insurance. Medical insurance is optional, and you must pay a premium. Some people are already getting Social Security benefits when they turn 65, and their Medicare starts automatically. Others must file an application. For more information, call the Health Care Financing Administration at 1-800 MEDICAR(E) and ask for a copy of the handbook, "Medicare and You". You also can visit the website at

We understand that you may have additional questions regarding benefits and who may be eligible. Should you desire more information, we encourage you to contact us at (630) 834-1133 or via email at